CG

CG

Monday, March 28, 2016

Heading on to Guanajuato

Leisurely departure from San Miguel this morning heading to Guanajuato WIKI It was a easy 90 minute ride through beautiful countryside. Pictures can't do it justice.

BTW, we gassed up on the way here. It's great getting gas here because the stations are usually huge and easy to get an RV in and out. Plus they pump it. Price was $2.83/gal. Gas in Mexico is usually cheaper than the US but not now.

We found Buganville RV Park easily and were greeted graciously by Carlos, the owner. What a great host. We already love it here. Full hookups for 280 pesos ($15.80)! No wifi but it is coming. Our Verizon hot spot is working fine. Restaurant on premises but closed on Mondays.

 We just cleaned up and kicked back. Tomorrow we'll start touring what appears to be a lovely city. Quick pictures of the park...they do not do the view justice. We are the only rig here...the animals enjoy the freedom. Many snowbirders are already heading home.



7 comments:

  1. Do a lot of Americans winter in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to answer this because I can't recall a census recently. Just from reading blogs and Mexico RV forums, I'd guess that it is in the hundreds. Many more Canadians do...probably in the thousands? Again, I'm pulling these numbers from you know where.

      My first trip was in 2006 (west coast) and the second in 2010 (east coast) and there was more RV activity then. Folks got scared because of cartel reports and the Americans dropped off (not so much the Canadians). Many RV parks closed from lack of business or, on the coast, selling the land for big Pesos.

      BTW, I've been following Mexico RV blogs/forums for about 12 years. I can't recall a single RV'er being harmed. I recall 1, maybe 2 truck hijackings with no harm to the occupants. I dare say there have been more in the US in that same period. As the RV park owner here just said, if you don't do drugs, you're not likely to be involved in anything.

      But, like anywhere in the world, I practice SA. To date, and I hope it stays that way, I've never had a hinkey vibe anywhere SOB.

      Delete
    2. You have nailed it my friend. Don't use, buy, sell or steal drugs and you will be fine! Don't hang out in late night bars and don't pick up other people's girlfriends/wives and you will have an even more pleasant Mexican visit. I guess what I am saying is behave the same as you would/should at home.

      The last time we spent the winter in Mexico the total number of Americans we encountered once we left the coast was ONE. We did run into dozens of Canadians (mainly from British Columbia and Quebec for some reason). The rest were from France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Australia...

      Delete
  2. Please keep up the blogging - I read it every day. I'd love to be doing what you and Robin are doing! Perhaps some day. But do enjoy the read. You should think about publishing it as a travel article, or perhaps a book one day. I know it's changed my idea about traveling in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks. You're too kind. I've gotten lazy and just post pictures most of the time along with RV park names etc for our future reference. Robin and I talked today about how sad it is that most Americans only know Mexico by the press, border towns, or cruise ship ports. We haven't had a dish yet covered in cheese :-)

      Delete